Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:06:11 +0200

> From: TAKAHASHI Naoto <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:23:10 +0900 (JST)
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" writes:
>
> > Btw, if the buffer is left unchanged, how can Emacs print the text
> > correctly (with "M-x lpr-buffer" etc.)?
>
> If you have an intelligent Arabic printer, it could do the glyph
> selection by itself.  Obviously, printers that accept iso8859-6 should
> be able to do that.  However, I do not know whether such printers
> exist.

Could people who use Arabic in other word processors please tell
whether it is reasonable to expect such printers to exist?

> Otherwise, we have to pass the content of the buffer to a filter for
> glyph selection.

This seems to be a good reason for a function which will perform such
a transformation on a buffer.

Also, is it customary in Arabic text processing to leave the text in a
file without presentation forms applied, and rely on the editor to do
that at display time?  If not, this again would indicate that the
changes should be permanent in the buffer, not only on the display.