Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode

From: TAKAHASHI Naoto
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:23:10 +0900 (JST)

"Eli Zaretskii" writes:

> Btw, if the buffer is left unchanged, how can Emacs print the text
> correctly (with "M-x lpr-buffer" etc.)?

If you have an intelligent Arabic printer, it could do the glyph
selection by itself.  Obviously, printers that accept iso8859-6 should
be able to do that.  However, I do not know whether such printers
exist.

Otherwise, we have to pass the content of the buffer to a filter for
glyph selection.

>> Ok, then I will not worry about this at all.  If we need to show some
>> Arabic, we can use the mule Arabic charsets.  I don't think we'll drop
>> support for those, will we?

> If the switch to Unicode happens, I think the plan is to retain only
> the Unicode Arabic characters.

I believe the old Mule Arabic charsets will be abandoned eventually.
Even now, mule-unicode-* covers all Mule Arabic charsets.  There is no
need to cling private charsets badly designed by a Japanese. :-)

--
TAKAHASHI Naoto
address@hidden