eliot-dev

Re: [Eliot-dev] successfully compile, and some questions

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: [Eliot-dev] successfully compile, and some questions
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:55:06 +0100

Hi Joan,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 14:29, Joan Montané <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've compiled Eliot successfully. After compiling libarabica, I need to
> execute "ldconfig" command. Now, I can execute standard installed Eliot (in
> Ubuntu), or compiled Eliot.

Just for the record: as an alternative to running ldconfig, you may
want to change the LD_CONFIG_PATH environment variable (if it contains
/usr/local/lib, you will be able to locate all the libraries compiled
and installed with "sudo make install").

> Now some questions.
>
> all works fine, but using the version compiled by me, it shows menus in
> English. If I export LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8, Eliot shows menus in English, what is
> wrong? The versions installed with deb packages show menus in Catalan.

For the translations to work, you need to "make install" eliot. The
installation directory (defaulting to /usr/local) can be changed with
the --prefix parameter of configure.
I don't know if it's also possible to have locale support working in
the build directory without the "make install" step (and without
breaking "make install", of course). If you want to play with that,
see qt/main.cpp and qt/Makefile.am (search for "localedir").

> What IDE do you use in Eliot development? I want to learn Qt, and try some
> hacking in Eliot source code.

Personally I only use vim (and gdb for debugging), and QtDesigner for
some of the Qt dialogs and widgets (see the qt/ui/ directory).
If you prefer a real IDE, you should probably give QtCreator a try, as
it is cross-platform and particularly relevant for Qt-related
projects. If needed, we could add QtCreator project files to the git repository.

And in case you need ideas for your hacking, feel free to ask, there
is a lot to do :-)

Best regards,
--
Olivier