edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"

From: gerhard . oettl
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:09:12 +0200

Hello

Guido Arnold schrieb:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:57:24AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
Guido Arnold schrieb:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:23:28PM +0200, Thomas Jensch wrote:
4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives
Does anybody have a list of projects and initiatives? Maybe we can
start a collection in a wiki. Since wiki.fsfe.org is restricted to
Fellows, it might not be the perfect place for it. Any suggestions?
Such a network would be highly desirable. When I was joining a local initiative I did a quick web research focused only on school distributions (german and live distributions in particular) I was astonished about how much distributions are out there. To be a little odd one could say: There are not too less distros, there are too much. I know there never can be too much, but without network I fear the forces are spit instead of added.

I agree that a lot of effort is wasted in re-inventing the wheel.

Nevertheless I am not too concerned about the number of distributions.
I guess that most of the maintainers are aware of "the others" and
that they do their own thing for a reason.

There is nothing against diversity but I would hope a central point would make it easier to see "who is out there" and "where do we dulicate work".

4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives
4.1. powerful edu-eu@ ML
- define tasks for edu-eu@
I think edu-eu@ is a list where people are connected who are already
involved in certain edu projects. I guess, it's a nice place to start
with the international network.

But the projects should be listed somewhere.
There exists something for that
<http://www.ofset.org>
(Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching).

I haven't visited ofset.org for a while. I always thought that their
aim is more the development of free edu software, not so much its
advocacy. I'll have a look again.

Yes thats the primary goal and the reality. But the following text from their community wiki shows that there is a thinking on more: "The success of free software in education can be achieved by an open and frank collaboration between teachers, software developers, translators and authors. Therefore we are proposing this portal as a central point where exchanges can take place in any suited forms."

And there are more of them out there (I would say about 10 at least). Most of them having "latest news" dated in 2003/2004 and look passed away.

As mentioned above, without a central entry point much of the power gets lost. So cooperating and featuring one of them may be would be better than building a new one.

I agree. Once we decided which one to use, we can ping the others and
invite the sleeping contributers to join us :)

Yes. Schoolforge (which you will know) is another candidate. We should collect existing sites first. I have to search my fellow data to enter the wiki ;-)

And not to forget, the european union itself sponsors a project building communities and source forges around open source and free software. Have a look at <http://www.osor.eu>.

I know that one too, but always thought they only collect news on the
adoption of "open source". I'll have a deeper look here, too.

Again this is the reality. But the intended goal (which is missed till now) is to be a central point for open source on european level. The misssion statement says: "OSOR.eu aims to support the collaborative development of Open Source Software (OSS) applications and solutions, particularly cross-border collaborations and exchanges of knowledge and software."

The offer:
- Source repositories (Forge)
- News collection (News)
- Community building (Communities)
and more.

Technically there seams to be nearly everything in place whats needed. May be they are "sitting between the chairs".

Too little: Open source projects are in most cases international projects and prefere internationsl known hostings like sourceforge.net Too large: For local project (especially langugage specific projects) an european level is unnecessary high. And breaking the language barrier - why not spread all over the world?

May be there are other shortcommings behind the scene, or even not? So I am always interested in experiences about osor.

Writing this I think we also have the risk running into this problem - but lets see ;-)

cheers