edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:44:02 +0200

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:23:28PM +0200, Thomas Jensch wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Therefore the tasks at hand are:
> b) discuss the proposed issues
> ba) especially the vision needs to be rephrased in light of the question: how
> we like it to be.
> bb) mission is, what the edu activity is about

> framework:
> vision
> Students of all educational levels are able to participate with a spirit of
> freedom and cooperation in the european democratic enviroment .

I like the approach, but I am missing the term "Free Software" in the vision.

Everybody has the freedom to use the software he likes, even if it's
proprietary. My main concern is that people who decide to use Free
Software are and will be discriminated or be disadvantaged.

I would like to see the use of Free Software in every
school and university, but I find it more important that the kid using
Free Software at home is not forced to use proprietary software just
to do his/her homework.

> mission
> The aim of the education activity is furthering Free Software in all
> education related activities and institutions, such as kindergarten, school,
> university. Software knowledgeability is required for more and more tasks,
> and Free Software is the best choice as it encourages schooling of
> understanding over product schooling and upholds the scientific principle.

In my view, establishing a legal framework that will not discriminate the
use of Free Software should be part of our mission.

> goals
> 1) Free Software is recognized as a competitor on equal footing / non-
> discriminatory policy against Free Software

Yes, that's close to what I mean, but I would like to have it
mentioned in the mission.

That's the end of my 2ยข of the brainstorm session today :)

Greetings,

Guido