dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Memory usage on an embedded system

From: Simon Posnjak
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Memory usage on an embedded system
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:14:13 +0200

V tor, 05.10.2004 ob 14:45 je Gopal V napisal(a):
> Hi,
>
> > right way. The problem with segfaults that i am
> > seeing is by my opinion
> > caused by my board going out of memory, because I am
> > not using the libgc for memory management.
>
> That should not segfault as the errors seemed to be
> problems with resolving the symbols in the .dlls
> (which in itself is strange).

I do not know. All I see is that memory usage goes from 800k to 9700k
and then ilrun gets killed by Linux VM (according to kernel log) and
errors reported earlier are printed out. The test program is just a
simple hello world, that runs on my PC just OK. I will try to port libgc
and then we will see if gc was the problem.

> > So before I go and port the libgc (and libffi), i
> > would like to know if
> > anybody can tell me what would memory requirements
> > for Portable.Net be.
> > Our board has about 10 MB of RAM free - would that
> > be enough for the
> > runtime and our application (a POS app).
>
> Is this 10 MB available for pnet ?. I just ran a
> simple Winforms app (ie the FormsHello app) and
> a few clicks later it was taking up around 2 MB in
> raw heap peaking around 2112k with libgc enabled.
>
> I think the on-demand loading of tokens has removed
> the necessity for loading the entire 1.7 MB
> mscorlib.dll directly :).
>
> So essentially you shouldn't be running out of memory
> too much :)
I was looking just for this kind of information. Thank you.

                lp simon