dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Memory usage on an embedded system

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Memory usage on an embedded system
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 05:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> right way. The problem with segfaults that i am
> seeing is by my opinion
> caused by my board going out of memory, because I am
> not using the libgc for memory management.

That should not segfault as the errors seemed to be
problems with resolving the symbols in the .dlls
(which in itself is strange).

> So before I go and port the libgc (and libffi), i
> would like to know if
> anybody can tell me what would memory requirements
> for Portable.Net be.
> Our board has about 10 MB of RAM free - would that
> be enough for the
> runtime and our application (a POS app).

Is this 10 MB available for pnet ?. I just ran a
simple Winforms app (ie the FormsHello app) and
a few clicks later it was taking up around 2 MB in
raw heap peaking around 2112k with libgc enabled.

I think the on-demand loading of tokens has removed
the necessity for loading the entire 1.7 MB
mscorlib.dll directly :).

So essentially you shouldn't be running out of memory
too much :)

Gopal