Re: [DotGNU]Re: Mandrake Rpms

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Mandrake Rpms
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 06:37:44 +1000

On Monday 27 September 2004 06:42 am, Stephen Compall wrote:

> I do not plan to remove this codependency.  Its purpose is to allow an
> alternative GPL-compatible SSL backend to be easily installed, when
> such is written.  For example, if a gnutls backend is added to pnetlib
> (or distributed separately), a pnetlib-gnutls-ssl package will provide
> pnetlib-ssl, and pnetlib-openssl will be deprecated.

gnutls is already supported by pnetlib, and is part of DotGNU.SSL.dll.  It has
been for quite some time now.  It is tried by default, before openssl.

Anyway, the supposed incompatibility with openssl is rubbish.  There is an
explicit license exception, listed in "pnetlib/DotGNU.SSL/README".  This is
sufficient to resolve the issue.

Please don't perpetuate myths like this, especially in packages.  DotGNU.SSL
is a fundamental library, needed by System.dll.  It should be in the
"pnetlib-base" package.

Cheers,

Rhys.