[DotGNU]Embedding Portable.NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Embedding Portable.NET
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:26:43 +1000

There has been quite a bit of interest lately in embedded
CLR implementations, on various mailing lists in the .NET
community.

To this end, I have begun experimenting with stripping
ilrun down to smaller proportions.  The following document
describes the basic process:

    http://www.southern-storm.com.au/doc/embedded.html

The pnet tree now contains a "profiles" directory, which
describe which features are enabled or disabled.  The
default profile is "full", which turns everything on.

Two of the smaller profiles are "kernel" and "compact",
which roughly match the ECMA profiles of the same name
("kernel" is the smaller of the two).

Note: it is still early days.  I've managed to strip down
the size of the code quite considerably, but it still uses
a lot of data memory.  My hope is that we can get a useful
engine running in 1 Mb of RAM (not quite there yet).

All of these changes are in the CVS version.  The above
document explains how to configure pnet to build in a
smaller configuration.  Feel free to experiment with
the profiles, and search for ways of saving more memory.

Cheers,

Rhys.