Re: [DotGNU]CSCC Compiler Testing

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]CSCC Compiler Testing
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 10:20:33 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> I have noticed that the MONO compiler has over 150
> test cases its repository.

Currently we have 123.  It's a bit misleading to count
the number of files though.  e.g. "csharp/expr/cast1.cs"
checks for 300+ individual cases of casting from one type
to another.  Is that 1 test case or 300?  You decide.

> Do you guys think that it would be ethic, resonable
> and good to import them into
> the cscc testing framework? Of course this will be
> alot of work, but the tests should be licensable,
> right?

There are no Copyright headers on those files, so
it is unclear whether the license is GPL, X11, or
"default Copyright".  But that would be easy to
resolve by asking the Mono guys.

Rather than extracting the tests from Mono, it may
be easier to provide a replacement "makefile" that
runs the tests using pnet.  Then all we have to do
is put the new makefile in place, and type make.
No need to keep our copy of the tests in sync with
Mono's tree continually.

Cheers,

Rhys.