Re: [DotGNU]compiler status

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]compiler status
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:00:48 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> > What needs to be added to the compiler in order to make it compile
> > the core C# library? What's missing from it?
>
> "grep TODO *". :-)

Remember to run it in both pnet/cscc/csharp and pnet/codegen/ dirs :)

1235 of the errors in mscorlib.dll compilation are due to one single bug
which can be compensated for by rearranging the Makefile (theoretically).

> Constant folding will also be done soon.

It already works most of the time -- after you put in a small
hack in ILNode_ToConst analysis. ie if you recieve a constant
on ILEvalConst , replace and voila !. But first we've got to
make ILEvalConst work for every case in the book :) .

> > I've gone through the faq and pnet home page but couldn't find anything
> > concrete. Thanks.

We had a tough decision to make about that. Either Rhys would
spent half the week documenting stuff or he would code stuff.

Anyway , most of our "knowledge" is dredged out from weekly
pnet meetings held at irc.openprojects.net #dotgnu. I hope that
you have already recieved the "official" reminder.

> Unfortunately, most of the easy cases are already done.

Not exactly , I think the codegen has lots of parts missing
to it ?. Especially the JVM ouput section .

Gopal

PS: Madras ? Chemical Engineering ?