Re: [DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 00:54:45 +0530

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 01:12:26PM -0400, Jonathan P Springer wrote:

> service is physically located on a server in that domain.  I find Java's
> namespace solution to be quite elegant, once one understands what's
> happening.

Since I assume that XML based webservices are the topic -- shouldn't
we be talking about "linking" up a resource to a name ?. ie a resource
locator service ?.

Well about the Java stuff , isn't all the GNU java stuff namespaced as
gnu.* ?

> 2) Given that a service can be uniquely identified and authenticated, I
> see no reason why a P2P-like web for service resolution is not viable.

It is viable in *large* numbers ... but will we have large numbers of
nodes here ?

> Finding "Jonathan's Service" is no more or less complicated than finding
> "jlo_nude.avi" in gnutella.

Makes a good point -- The question is the updation of data . I often find
that FreeNet makes for a safer store of data , due to autoupdation of data.
But that concept totally destroys the host based security (ie blindly
trust all files from debian.org.....).

The updation of service locations in such a scenario is too complicated
when the service changes IP s daily..... Did someone check out userv
(microserv -- is that a PUN ?) from IBM . I remember some talk about
this before.

> Why centralize and create a point of breakage?

Why distribute and destroy integration ?.

The point is we should really split it into peices which are big enough
to be useful and small enough to be distributed. ie anyone can set up
a server (SuperNode) and other nodes can use it as a handshake point
-- now make every node a handshake point and we have a true P2P system.
The supernode just stablizes the system from performance deterioration
when the number of users drop......

So we balance between true P2P and a centralized system -- exploiting
the best for the moment.

Checkout router.limewire.com in your gnutella for a supernode.

> Hey, I should be doing the thinking I'm paid for right now.

Read my thoughts on thinking http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/funnies.html.
which is a bit too long to say here :)

Gopal