[DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 14:50:22 -0400

I think I really should suggest the following.

I think it would be a very, very good idea for the DotGNU
framework to include provision of dynamic domain name
support.

This would help spread the notion of people running their
own servers, and help repudiate the whole idea of people
being consumers of remote web services.  It would also
emphasize the two-way nature of the fundamental internet
protocols, emphasizing the communications medium nature of
the web versus the "content delivery" notion.  It would also
be a very important component in distributed/P2P stuff --
perhaps including VRS.

I would specifically facilitate adoption of the distributed
stuff, and make a strong impression in terms of what DotGNU
means for Mr. Everyday Joe.

So DotGNU servers of whatever stripe, having static IPs,
would have a standard service enabling them to host dynamic
domain names appended to their own.  This would allow all
sorts of internet users to set themselves up with URLs and
enter their own computers into cyberspace, running their own
DotGNU servers and nodes.

Dynamic domain name registration could be built right into
installation packages for client or node server software!

This would add the notion of "everybody can build and run
servers" to the more restrictive remote "content" delivery
model of web services.

I'm just stream-of-consciousness-ing here.  I'm sure I can
say a whole lot more, because this notion has been bouncing
around in my mind for a long time, but I didn't want to wait
for the "composition cogitation" part of my brain.

:-)

Seth Johnson