Re: Plans for ahead

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 05:47:29 -0500

David,

I would like to interject on one point....

> On the web browser front, I’ll note that the Chrome UI absolutely sucks when
> it comes to integration with the surrounding environment, yet Chrome and
> Chromium are very successful.  I think that, given the wide variety of UIs on
> the web in general, a lot of people are willing to put up with a web browser
> that doesn’t integrate well with their platform UI.  Having a native GNUstep
> web browser is a huge engineering effort and should not be a priority yet.

It is possible to "fake" this using CEF3.   I did something similar
when I worked for AOL working on Winamp for the Mac.   I am planning
on making a minimal WebView (i.e. some functionality would be
unavailable) by wrapping CEF3.

I know it's a shortcut and kind of a stopgap solution, but it should work.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/