Re: Plans for ahead

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:42:23 -0500

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 04:37, Alessandro Sangiuliano <alex22_7@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I think I expressed bad my problem. The Menus appears when I click on the
> relative App's window, so they are working as expected; but if I have 10
> windows on the screen, organized to fill all the screen, as a tiled window
> manager does, when I will click on an     App's window, the relative menu
> have to appear somewhere, but the screen is filled so it will overlaps a
> window of another App that I probably need to read, so I have to move the
> menu to another position. This also would happen on a NeXTSTEP system,
> because is how they designed the architecture of their DE. I'm sorry, but I
> don't like at all this design, it's also something about tastes, but it is
> also something about "functionality" if you also think about the Apps' icons

Alex,

I can only think that this would be a real problem on a small, single screen,
but that may be the reality you have to deal with. On OpenStep at least, which
I have ran at one point on a tiny (mid-1990s) laptop screen, you could position
the menu basically off the edge of the screen (leaving just a few pixels
sticking up from the bottom, is how I did it). You can then get at the app's
menu as a context menu by right-clicking anywhere on the current app or desktop
where there wasn't an interactive element (field, button, slider, etc.).

I'm not sure how well GNUstep emulates this currently, since all of my personal
machines are headless.

--Robert