Re: Plans for ahead

From: Adam S
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:51:00 +0000

@Nikolaus ... Yeah I'd agree with that. You can evoke retro without necessarily looking outdated in the negative sense.

On Nov 29, 2015 2:48 PM, "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@dhns.de> wrote:

Am 29.11.2015 um 15:16 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:

> Hi,
>
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
>>> I absolutely want "our" menus, they are distinctive and useful and if I were
>> They are OLD.   More important than their usefulness is what they
>> invoke and that is they make people think that we are NeXTSTEP and
>> OPENSTEP only.  Like it or not our old look is part of our problem.
>> I'm sorry you don't like this fact, but it is based on tons of first
>> hand observation over the last ten years.
>
> I'm sorry you mix look and with interface design. Facts and factoids.
>
> Actually, our menus are NEW, they are newer than in-window menus and  one-menu-bar on the top which came from Mac and Motif/OS2/Windows. They have close parents and predecessors (e.g. SGI menus, Amiga menus) but NeXT made them consistent.
>
> The interaction with our menus makes NeXT & GNUstep distinctive and as trying to port applications back and forth it allows for a unique interaction. It allows, for example to have very smooth document based applications which are impossible to achieve (as still the latest office suite of a big software company proves) with in-window menus.
> It offers the same functionality as a top menu bar, but is more flexible and works well with big screens or multiple-screens. We do not need to invent things like "tearable menus" and even "palettes" are not strictly necessary.
>
> Thus, playing the same song is of no good for anybody.

That is IMHO all correct about being distinctive, unique and consistent over multiple screens, but you don't see that in a screenshot. There you only get the look, not the feel.

Imagine, someone from outside our community successfully installs GNUstep, is happy about how applications work and writes a blog entry, he/she will add screen shots which indeed looks old fashioned to his/her readers. This spreads a negative touch (except for fans of retro look). Unless some default theme looks "modern" or "vivid" or "up-to-date".

Just my 2 cts.

BR,
Nikolaus