Re: Status of GNUstep

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Status of GNUstep
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 09:52:40 +0200

Am 06.07.2015 um 09:28 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>:

> On 6 Jul 2015, at 06:57, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>>
>> This will list the “undefined” references that are to be satisfied by the
>> shared libraries.
>>
>> Of course it is a mix of system libraries and GNUstep libraries, but you
>> will see the format of Obj-C methods.
>
> No you won’t.  Objective-C dispatch does not work that way - methods are not
> called directly, the only symbol that you will see is objc_msgSend.

Yes, you are right.

Only nm on a .framework will show which methods are implemented (and the
headers will show which are promised to be there).

But it shows the classes that are expected. So at least we can find out if
classes are missing.

> It is, however, possible to see the list of selectors that a an application
> uses, though these are not tied to classes.

This would probably help him as well.

>  It’s also possible with the git head of libobjc2 (or with DTrace on OS X) to
> track the {class,selector} pairs for every message send and record them as
> the method runs, though this is a static analysis.

Well, a dynamic analysis won’t work if methods are not implemented… The whole
application won’t run.

> David
>
> — Sent from my Apple II

Nikolaus