[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: GORM and NSCollectionView

From: Alessandro Sangiuliano
Subject: Re: GORM and NSCollectionView
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:06:46 +0100
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/31.3.0


12/03/2015 23:20, Fred Kiefer has wrote:
My latest change may look like the horrible hack it is, but it finally
brings us the full functionality of your application. Please give it a try.
The little CollectionView App I wrote for practice with NSCollectionVIew and bindings is now working has expected.

Thank you for the great work.

The only problem that is floating around now, is the flashing/jittering/glitching or, whatever is the right word, when a gnustep window is resized.

This is not an NSCollectionView or -gui or -base problem, but I strongly think it comes from -back (maybe how double buffering is handled?). With this little CollectionView app, the problem is remarkable because more NSCollectionViewItem, so subviews, are added to the NSCollectionView view, more slow becomes the resize behavior. With just 31 NSCollectionViewItem added through the Add Student button, the flash (white/black/white) takes almost a second to be completed, so I have to wait almost a second before seeing my window resized.

I done a video with recordmydesktop, but it is unfortunately and obviously slow and doesn't represent the reality of the behavior. I'll do a video with a cellphone or something of similar, and then I'll open another thread to talk about if you all agree.
If you are interested in working on GNUstep, why don't you join Google
Summer of Code and work on KVB? The best thing to learn something is to
implement it yourself.
Because actually I'm no more a student, but they proposed me the M.sc time ago, if I decide to do it, I'll see for a gnustep gsoc if possible.

Am 12.03.2015 um 09:21 schrieb Alessandro Sangiuliano:
Il 11/03/2015 00:25, Fred Kiefer ha scritto:
I got a whole bit closer today, I now understand where the view for
the collection view item comes from and why it wasn't displayed with
the old code. Another order dependent issue, that should be resolved
now. The remaining big problem is how to transver the KVB from the
text field  prototype to the generated copies for each item. At the
moment bindings don't get archived when writing out a view, looks like
we need to change this, but I don't have an idea here.


On the road

Am 09.03.2015 um 13:51 schrieb Alessandro Sangiuliano

Hello, I just saw the emails because I wasn't at home this week.

Thanks for all the fixes I'll try them In about 1 hour, then I'l
report the situation.

You also spoken about contribution. I'd like to contribute directly
to gnustep, but there are some problems:

1) I study Cocoa/GNUstep in my free time, that's few and sporadic;
think that I started to do some work on étoilé in 2011 and I started
to study AppKit/-gui  (the internals, and how it is structured) about
3-4 weeks ago. The rik.theme I'm working on helped too.

2) To speed up knowlegdes about gnustep I need a mentor, that
corrects me when I do/say stupid or non sense things, and has
patience when I start to do a lot of questions.

However, if you need fast communication about NSCollectionView little
app we are talking/fixing/working on,  you can find me on the etoile
irc channel on efnet, just send me a mail to decide the day  to meet
on the channel. I know there  is also a gnustep channel on freenode,
by the few times I got online, I never got a reply, but if you prefer
the gnustep channel one, for me there is no problem.


Il 08/03/2015 23:23, Fred Kiefer ha scritto:
OK, this time my changes should bring you a lot closer to what you are
expecting. The two important changes where some clean up in
NSArrayController to update the arranged objects in many cases (some
still missing and the others are rather inefficient). And to get the
NSCollectionViewItem to display something. For this I hacked together a
-view method. This will need a lot of rework, but at least now you
should see something.

I also had to make a few changes to your source code, you will find the
new files attached. This is mostly about having proper access methods.

It will be some time until I work again on this issue as I am away
for a
few days next week.


Am 07.03.2015 um 11:57 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
You should forget about converting your NIB file to gorm format,
there is no reason for doing so, now that GNUstep supports NIB and
XIB format. Just stick with .nib files and try to get these working
with GNUstep, which will be hard enough.

I did a few more changes and the error messages you reported as
item 3. should be resolved now. But this

I confirm that every fixes you done are working on my system too and the
App is quite closer to the expected behavior.

Thank you for the help.

I'll see if I can help with code, but I need to study some stuffs about
cocoa and KVB/KVO and for this I need time.

Best regards,

Thank again,

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]