Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Jens Alfke
Subject: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:30:03 -0800

I'm investigating getting a large iOS/Mac codebase to run on Linux via GNUstep.
The latest roadblock I've run into is that if I enable ARC (clang flag
-fobjc-arc) I get an error that "-fobjc-arg is not supported on platforms using
the legacy runtime".

I'm building for 32-bit, because the eventual target platform is an embedded
system that's almost certainly 32-bit. Is there any way to get this to work?
Apple's Obj-C implementation supports a 'modern' runtime in 32-bit, although
it's only used in iOS for reasons of backward compatibility. Does the GNUstep
Obj-C runtime have similar support, and if so how would I enable it?

(Not using ARC is not an option … the amount of work to take it out would be
prohibitive.)

—Jens