Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:49:07 +0000

On 28 Jan 2015, at 17:31, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2015, at 16:55, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry if this sounds entitled, but shouldn't the GNUstep install process
>> already configure the right compiler options? I'm a bit frazzled after
>> spending a day messing with environment variables and paths to even get as
>> far as I have — and I've found almost no advice or instructions online
>> (except for docs that are at least seven years old and clearly out of date.)
>> If there are current, supported instructions for installing a GNUstep
>> development environment, please let me know where they are!
>
> I agree, but this requires modifying GNUstep Make, which hurts my brain.
> Patches welcome.

Yes this needs doing.  I find hacking gnustep-make fairly difficult too, though
it's limpid in comparison to the opacity of cmake.
When tryiung to move people over to using clang and libobjc2, everyone seems to
have problems with building libobjc2 because of its cmake dependency :-(

I can certainly help with discussions and patch integration for gnustep-make to
better use clang, but almost as useful would be building libobjc2 without
requiring cmake.