Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]

From: Julian Mayer
Subject: Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:35:42 +0200

> I will admit a mistake on my part is certainly possible ... but I'm not a
> complete newbie at this kind of thing, so before I did my test I took a few
> precautions:

sorry, didn't intend to suggest newbie-ness, i just thought the likelihood of
an existing installation getting picked up on an developer machine was higher
than something going wrong with these few easy steps on a freshly-setup VM.

> So, when it came to starting my test application, I could see the XXXXXXX
> printed on the terminal, and know it used the base library it just built, and
> I could see the log of the path it used for the backend bundle and know it
> was using the bundle in the standalone folder.  I'm therefore confident that
> I was using the correct build.

thanks i see you have been really careful!

> Where is it getting those paths from?  They can only be from a config file or
> built in to the base library.  But when base was configured two options were
> used ... one which should have turned off reading of a config file at run
> time, and the other which should have ensured that the built-in paths were
> those defined in standalone.conf
> The paths you are getting are those associated with a default build.

i've investigated some more and the cause is this:

notroot@ubuntu:~/Desktop/core/base$ ls -la standalone.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 notroot notroot 2792 2011-10-16 20:03 standalone.conf

notroot@ubuntu:~/Desktop/core/base$ ./configure --with-config-file=./
--with-default-config=standalone.conf
checking for GNUstep configuration file to use at runtime... ./
checking whether the GNUstep.conf file path can be set in the environment... yes
checking if we should import an existing configuration file now... yes
checking for default GNUstep configuration file to use... standalone.conf
trying to import "standalone.conf"
configure: If this fails, please run configure again with the
--disable-importing-config-file option or specifying an alternative file using
the --with-default-config= option
./configure: line 2933: .: standalone.conf: file not found

so, it doesn't pickup the standalone config

using this instead

./configure --with-config-file=./ --with-default-config=./standalone.conf

seems to work ;-)

really, the problem here is that this message is so innocent, and goes away so
fast, drowning in millions of other lines. i think configure should exit if you
specify an config file that can't be found.

since i've found the correct configure line now, i will try everything again ;-)

thanks, julian