Re: FOSDEM and beyond (next stable release of base)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: FOSDEM and beyond (next stable release of base)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:38:38 +0100

Am 09.02.2010 17:15, schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

> On 9 Feb 2010, at 13:48, Quentin Mathé wrote:
>
> The last important thing is that the next Étoilé release will require
> the Cairo backend. Which means, packaging Étoilé would be much easier
> if GNUstep makes Cairo its default backend for the next gnustep-
> gui/back release.
>
>> Any comments? Does that sounds feasible to have a GNUstep unstable
>> release in March/April?
>
> Well, only doing a new unstable release of base is my direct
> responsibility (there's no problem with that), but the others all
> sound reasonable to me, though there may be quite some work to do
> still on theming.

Having a gui/back release in about that time frame sounds ok to me.

> I expect Nicola can sort out the gnustep-make changes, so that only
> leaves making cairo the default backend... that one might be
> contentious as Cairo is quite new still, and not trusted by some
> (actually, when I tried to use it last week it failed to draw any
> images at all ... so I'm currently using art).  In particular I
> recall Fred (who wrote it) saying it wasn't ready a while back.  He
> might have changed his mind by now though.  Anyway, he should be able
> to give you a definitive answer on this.

That was a while back :-)
I didn't use any other backend myself in the last two years, except for
testing bugs that were reported. I strongly support the proposal of
making cairo the default backend. Anybody who wants one of the other
backends could still get it by requesting it from configure and of
course we should fall back to another backend when cairo isn't installed.