Re: The future of GNUstep (was: Open URL in NSWorkspace)

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: The future of GNUstep (was: Open URL in NSWorkspace)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:25:08 +0200

Am 03.08.2007 um 21:05 schrieb Vaisburd, Haim:

I, on the contrary, believe that we can do better, even much better.

GNUstep already does better in some areas. There is no Carbon burden, instead there is cross platform compatibility, to point out two examples.

Obviously, there are visionaires in the Etoilé group: <http:// www.etoile-project.org/etoile/blog/2007/07/road-to-coreobject- part-1.html> My comment: great idea, but when would you expect this to be widespread technology if you cant afford to build a LiveCD _before_ publishing on Slashdot: <http://linux.slashdot.org/ article.pl?sid=07/07/29/2042254>

We had a rather extensive discussion about that with Richard,
and I understood that most GNUstep developers (including Richard)
have the opposite point of view, that is, OSX rules.

Are you sure? I've yet to see a GNUstepper wanting to include Mac OS X features like wxWindows or Carbon into the framework collection. Instead, I sometimes see something like "Cocoa rules".

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/