FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just 4 w

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just 4 weeks left!!!)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:41:42 +0000

First, some ideas for potential booth demos...

- gnustep environment demonstration and/or étoilé

    use the live cd to show some applications, the services, etc

- gnustep programming -- basic stuff with gorm

    gorm+an ide, just to show the classic "hello world" of the
openstep world: the 2-textfields calculator...

- gnustep programming -- gdl2 + eomodel + gorm

    use eomodel to create a simple data model, with gorm to show how
you can easily put a gui on top of the model, and how the data is
automatically saved in the database.
(ideally I'd love to show how you easy it would be to reuse most of
the classes and the emodel to create a webapp using gsweb/ngobjweb,
but it's been some time since I used gsweb... helge, want to play with
that ? :)

- gnustep programming -- portability example

    create a program on OS X and recompile it on gnustep, and vice / versa
    ideally show the same program running on windows..

Anybody has more ideas ?

What we need to do now is to agree on a set of simple/short demos: I
think a demo needs to be between 5 and 15min max, else people won't
bother (imagine you just missed the beginning...). By reusing files
(nibs, models, code skelettons, etc) we can make the demos pretty
short.

Even better would be to have simple leaflets detailing the demos -- so
people can take that to follow the steps. Even better than that would
be to record the demo *before* the fosdem and distribute a cd with
videos of the demo (or put the videos on the live cd). At least,
prepare the demos before the fosdem so we can easy take project
skelettons to do a demo.

At this point though, I'm asking for any volunteers for help --
because I will try to do what I can, but I can't do everything alone
:-)

If you know how to do a demo, try to do it at home; then document it,
ideally with sshots; then release the skelettons and the documentation
:)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Roard
"La perfection, ce n'est pas quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, c'est