Re: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just 4 weeks left!!!)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:13:41 -0500

You only replied to me, so I'll keep everything you wrote on this quote so peopel know what you said!

Anyway, replying to what you said about the calculator video being too short:
Why not have someone do the calculator demo, which would take roughly 5 minutes, then, once that is done, show a 20 minutes, or so, video of how to program a more complex program?  It would also be nice to have a few of these long videos and alternate between them, while at the same time, showing the calculator demo every 30 minutes.  This would leave roughly 5 minutes for people to catch their breathes, ask questions, and "wow" for a little bit.

FYI, I wasn't able to see those two demos before replying to this because I don't have flash installed on the box I'm replying from, but if their long enough, I think it would be a good idea to include those as 20 minutes demos.

I also think it would be a good idea to time it so that once the demo is over, a relevant talk is starting in the devroom!  This way, if people like what they see, they can go hear some more about it.

On 1/28/07, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/28/07, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/07, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
> - gnustep programming -- basic stuff with gorm
> >
> >      gorm+an ide, just to show the classic "hello world" of the
> > openstep world: the 2-textfields calculator...

> > What we need to do now is to agree on a set of simple/short demos: I
> > think a demo needs to be between 5 and 15min max, else people won't
> > bother (imagine you just missed the beginning...). By reusing files
> > (nibs, models, code skelettons, etc) we can make the demos pretty
> > short.
>
> Even though I'm not going to be there, I thought I would put my 2 cents in!
> I think it would be extremely important to have this demo, the calculator
> one.  Even more important would be to show how to create something like that
> from scratch, no skeletons.  The calculator example by Pierre-Yves Rivaille
> took me a whole 15 minutes to complete, and this included having to read
> everything, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do it live.  It is really
> easy to do, and very impressive when you think about it:  1 line of code for
> a calculator.  Have someone show the demo every 30 minutes, that way if
> someone misses it they can just wait a few minutes to see it again.

yes, definitely.

> I just
> want to reiterate one thing though, always have someone doing it, not a
> video (videos can be misleading and people know that).  The videos can be
> useful for large demos which might take 10+ minutes.

oh, the video weren't mean for the booth itself, more for people to
view after the fosdem,etc.

The only problem with the calculator demo is that it's so quick to do
that you need more :-D

A mix between http://xdev.org/gnustep/datasetdemo/index.html and
http://xdev.org/gnustep/palettedemo/index.html perhaps...

> As a side note, I think it would be a good idea to update ProjectCenter
> before FOSDEM.  There was some action on the SVN which looked like
> preparation for a new release (I think it might have been announced here),
> but then I can't heard anything in a while.

As Saso will be here, it's quite likely we'll use ProjectManager..
(color edition)

--
Nicolas Roard
"La perfection, ce n'est pas quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, c'est