Re: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos (was Re: FOSDEM 2007 organization - just 4 weeks left!!!)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:40:10 -0500

On 1/27/07, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
- gnustep programming -- basic stuff with gorm

     gorm+an ide, just to show the classic "hello world" of the
openstep world: the 2-textfields calculator...

What we need to do now is to agree on a set of simple/short demos: I
think a demo needs to be between 5 and 15min max, else people won't
bother (imagine you just missed the beginning...). By reusing files
(nibs, models, code skelettons, etc) we can make the demos pretty
short.

Even though I'm not going to be there, I thought I would put my 2 cents in!  I think it would be extremely important to have this demo, the calculator one.  Even more important would be to show how to create something like that from scratch, no skeletons.  The calculator example by Pierre-Yves Rivaille took me a whole 15 minutes to complete, and this included having to read everything, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do it live.  It is really easy to do, and very impressive when you think about it:  1 line of code for a calculator.  Have someone show the demo every 30 minutes, that way if someone misses it they can just wait a few minutes to see it again.  I just want to reiterate one thing though, always have someone doing it, not a video (videos can be misleading and people know that).  The videos can be useful for large demos which might take 10+ minutes.

As a side note, I think it would be a good idea to update ProjectCenter before FOSDEM.  There was some action on the SVN which looked like preparation for a new release (I think it might have been announced here), but then I can't heard anything in a while.

Stefan