Re: Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG prob

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows))
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:41:29 +0800

Lloyd Dupont wrote:
2) GS-Runtime + application

   Program Files\Common Files\GNUstep
     \Library
     \Tools

let me strongly disagree with that.
are all GNUstep version 100% compatible backward and forward?
(and there is a new version everyday)
if not (just a little) if someone else install a GNUstep application it might very well break your app.
what about that?

Well, it seems that you're advocating that every single GNUstep application have a complete library/tool installation specifically for it. Is that right?

Let me point out that on *nix platforms, there is a shared runtime for all GNUstep applications which works out well.

At the moment, GNUstep on windows isn't very stable. We're actively moving it forward and that necessitates change. We are, though, aiming to eventually have a stable release which is reliable.

Someone else installing a GNUstep application won't break your application.

Someone installing a new GNUstep runtime *might* but you can get around it.

Any better ideas?

Yes, registry support.

I think it's a very bad idea again.
Because the registry means 1 location for a shared GNUstep.

No, not necessarily. It doesn't for the stand-alone case. It does in the shared runtime case. (except with versioning)

Actually that's the reason MS got away of registry and want config file.

Actually, MS hasn't got away from registry and want config file. The party line from MS isn't consistent on application use of config files vs registry.

If you're citing recent MS literature referring to "Application Configuration Files" then you are confusing terms. These are only supported on XP and later and have a well defined structure and use which isn't what the GNUstep conf is for.

Because they want to avoid DLL Hell.

You're implying that DLL Hell is caused by using the registry and not using the registry will avoid that. I'm afraid that is a fundamental mis-diagnosis of the causes.

The MS preferred way for avoiding DLL Hell is manifests and assemblies. Second choice to that is redirection.

Regards,
Sheldon