Re: Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG prob

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Best distribution layout on mingw? (was Re: GNUSTEP_USER_CONFIG problem (Windows))
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 07:55:07 +0000

On 6 Dec 2005, at 07:33, Sheldon Gill wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 6 Dec 2005, at 05:33, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 5 Dec 2005, at 23:07, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Actually, I thought it was needed for deployment (esp. for MS- Windows). If an was build with C:/GNUstep/System but has to be installed in

it would be VERY nice indeed if you could simply put the GNUstep.conf file in the same directory as the dll to be found automatically.

You can ... thats' the way (well, a major one of the ways) the new config file system is intended to be used on windows (configure -- with-config-file=./GNUstep.conf).

I've added some documentation for this in the filesystem document in the make package ... needs to be more extensive and polished, but it's a start. I'm also going to try to improve the configure scripts in make and base to try and get them to make better choices about where to put things on windows when you don't explicitly give them instructions with the various options like --with-config-file=
What IS the appropriate directory layout for distributing a gnustep application along with all resources on windows?

I think the answer is different for the two cases:

1) Stand-alone application

  Program Files\NSoft\Amazing.app
    \Resources
    \Library

  All executables in top layer. Current CVS doesn't support this.

Well, the make system doesn't install them in the top layer, but they can easily be moved (I suggested adding a trivial script to do it). The only real problem is if one executable wants to use NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains() to find another executable. That's pretty rare though, so while it's something that needs to be addressed, I don't think it's a big issue.

Any better ideas?

Yes, registry support.

When we were discussing this on the mailing list, we suggested/ queried the use of the rtegistry for the basic config, and someone said that the Microsoft recommendation was to use a config file rather than the registry for this kind of thing... so we opted for simplicity/consistency for now.

For the stand-alone situation
 - build base with configure --registry-key="Software\NSoft\Amazing"

   The values in the key control things.

This way we can have the executables and libraries in different directories but not break anything.

?? I don't understand that. How does using the registry make any difference? Does windows check a location in the registry based on the program name when launching a program, and look up the location of any DLLs to use with the program?

There are also security and system administration benefits.

You mean that users can be prevented from modifying config stored in the registry, but can't be prevented from modifying files?