Re: Installer UI advices

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:23:34 +0100

At 13:29 Uhr +0800 12.03.2005, Sheldon Gill wrote:
There are technical reasons for the file system layout and the impositions. These are outside the scope of GNUstep and difficult to fix. If you want to do it properly and reasonably, you need to re-engineer the operating system and the applications which run on it.

Actually, you'd be surprised how comfigurable Linux is. A friend of mine is a security freak and he renamed *all* his OS-level folders. Renaming and moving is the same thing in Linux, so I'd guess it would even work to move them all into a "System" folder. Might need special installs for certain additional packages and changes to make some apps that make unhealthy assumptions, but it *can* be done without needing to re-engineer.

Thats right. Thing is, the computer is a complicated device. If you know nothing and sit down to try and use one it's not going to be very easy and its probably not going to be a satisfying experience. Would you let someone get behind the wheel of a car and just go? Using a computer is actually a much more general task and so much more complex. It'd be more like putting someone in a cockpit and letting them try to fly.

OTOH, I never learned how to use a choke anymore, and many people in the US and Switzerland can get their license without ever having to have learned to drive a manual transmission car. Driving and flying airplanes is getting easier every day. Why can't computing?

The solution many have gone for is to present a *User* level view which tries to hide and manage the underlying complexity. Its certainly easier than trying to re-engineer the OS and the incompatibilities that'd bring.

But opens up its own can of worms. If we keep adding layers, we'll eventually need software-archaeologists...
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer