Re: Installer UI advices

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:17:08 +0100

Le 14 mars 05, à 16:20, Jesse Ross a écrit :

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, or maybe this is impossible because of different underlying OS's, or maybe there is an easier way, but can we locate the files we need to link to, get their inode, and use that
as a reference? That way we could move the file around and the links
wouldn't break.

Yes, this is possible not exactly like that but by adding an extra level of indirection : you need to create lot of unique identifiers (UUIDs) on your computer and map each identifier produced to each inode in an index, then you need to have a system with FS notifications like Linux kernel inotify to know every time files are kept identical but have their inode changed (when you move to another disk, when the file isn't local to take basic examples) and in such case take care to update the inode bound the file identifier in the index.

Finally with files identifiers you can track the files everywhere and you never manipulate paths outside of the shell, back in old Mac OS days everything worked like that (this a bit simplistic but :-). Today alias are still supported with Carbon on Mac OS X with HFS+ but not used system wide (Cocoa doesn't rely on them except for NSDocument internally iirc then it is pretty convenient, but it is still a real pity Cocoa only supports to manipulates files with "path" semantic).

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr