Re: Look and Feel

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:29:41 +0100

Hi,

Am 14.02.2005 um 14:43 schrieb Jesse Ross:
I hope that my screenshot doesn't make people think too much of the Mac
interface. There are some similarities, but I would prefer the interface feel simply "modern", and if compared against WinXP and OS X, would feel
like it was designed in a similar era, using similar design principles.

I find your mockup very beautiful, and it doesn't remind me of the Mac interface very much at all -- rounded corners do not Aqua make. And I hope somebody will implement it. It's very nice and clean and something I would love to use, and I say this as somebody who doesn't at all think changeable themes are a very good idea. But I'd be very happy with two or three exchangeable standard themes that come with the system by default, if they're well designed. One of them should be the standard NeXT theme, but I don't think it would have to be the default -- if they're equally well-designed, why is there a need for a default at all?

There is, however, one thing I'd like to add. Please remember that NeXT application development is based on the WYSIWYG paradigma, and some applications (like, to pick one at random, AddressManager) make rather heavy use of the contract that the look at run time is going to be precisely the same, or at least very close to, the look at design time. (And even if this were a bad design principle, which it isn't, the OpenStep APIs don't provide many tools to do it differently.) So theme design must be done very carefully indeed.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Björn

PS Have you written some text about what one actually sees in the mock-up? If so, I must have missed it. I'm not sure I understand what the different areas in the "dock" at the right are. Care to explain? :-)
--
Dipl.-Inform. Björn Giesler <giesler@ira.uka.de>
Web: http://wwwiaim.ira.uka.de/users/giesler