Re: Look and Feel

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:16:11 +0100

Hey,

On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 01:55 PM, Jesse Ross wrote:

On Feb 15, 2005, at 3:37 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:

IRIX has vectorized icons and, judging on how a lot of icons are done/not done, it seems to be a headache for developers to make them look nicely.

It was also discussed on #gnustep whether we could/should use a combination format of SVG/bitmap. I was initially in support of the idea, but as I have recently been working on some of the more photorealistic style icons, I'll have to retract my support. I think we should probably stick with a standard bitmap style icon, perhaps even use .icns files, as Mac OS X does. This will also make porting applications over, as icons won't have to be converted or redesigned.

I love irix and find it is one of the most refined desktops out there, a pity so few applications are consistent with it. But it has a totally different style. Vector icons are a no-go for next-step style icons or aqua ones. I can post some irix screenshots if there is request.

-R