Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:42:02 +0100

Hello, enrico,.

Quick reply :)

On 2004-11-19 11:50:40 +0200 Riccardo <multix@ngi.it> wrote:

<snip>
GWorkspace is so buggy I hope that at some point Enrico wills top adding features, stabilize what it is, make configure work to disable ddb and make it build cleanly.
<snip>

Which kind of problems are you encountering, exactly? Besides the ddbd part - that must be considered only "work in progress" - the rest of the app should be very stable (I mean the current CVS).

apart from ddb which I had to disable by commenting out code? :)

The problems are related to moving the files to teh trash and Operations.

The first attempt (I never run gworkspace on this box before) it complained that .Trash didn't exist. I needed to create manually the "Desktop" directory and .Trash was created. Intermediate directories in the path were not created. This may be a problem of gworkspace and how you handle this or maybe of the function call you use! I don't know. Once done this I experience that the Operations helper "freezes" or stops working when I give it to move stuff. It can lock up so much that it has a white menu (not refreshed, only the boundary box) and the icon in the dock becomes grey. Often manually killing and repeating the operation works... SO it is not easily repeatable..

Also I would prefer that at the closure of gworkspace all helpers were closed at the quitting of gworkspace (well, I would be happy if you would remove some of those helpers totally...)

for the rest as I told in IRC today I was pretty pleased by the total appearance of the desktop. This is the first time I have a fully working and 2d accelerated X on NetBSD with my Matrox card and once a few apps are launched and wmaker is set OK.. I can feel at home almost :)

So even if I complain about nasty bugs I take the moment to thank all who worked up to this point! I only think we should do a feature freeze and try to take out to stability what we have here now. And release it to the world.

-R