Re: GNUstep back: won't compile with art support

From: Sascha Erni, .rb
Subject: Re: GNUstep back: won't compile with art support
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:35:04 +0200

Hi Kazunobu, hi group,

for the group: Kazunobu was so nice as to have a look at the lenghty config and make outputs of my unsuccessful art backend compiles.

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
I downloaded the source of 2.1.8 and found that the interface/implementation of the cache subsystem has been drastically changed in comparison with 2.1.4.

Ooop. Thanks for the heads-up! Freetype was updated often for my distribution (Mandrake), the past couple of weeks, and I did my own compilation experiments with 2.1.8. Hence the issues, I suppose.

I think there're two possible solutions to it:
(1) Update -art (to be more specific, ftfont.m) according to the changes
   of 2.1.8.
(2) Use the previous stable freetype2, i.e., 2.1.4.

If you want to use -art right now, perhaps (2) is a better solution.
(But note that it might break other programs using freetype2.)

I'll either go with (2) right now, or try to figure out what fonts I missed when defining font sizes for in GNUstep (cf. mail to mailing list and Fred). xlib with AA enabled is pretty slow on my system, especially when scrolling through lots of text in a Terminal window, so I hope I'll get art running instead. I'll give 2.1.4 a shot and see what won't run any longer after the downgrade; with a bit of luck, it won't be much (if anything at all).

Otherwise, we definitely need the help of Alexander Malmberg for a
complete solution.

We might need that sooner or later. As mentioned above, at least Mandrake updated libfreetype a number of times quite recently, and AFAIK you'll end up with 2.1.6 when doing a "clean" install of the latest stable Mandrake release. My guess is that, not too far in the future, most distributions may require / ship with newer versions of freetype, too.

I'll look into this, but I'm not sure I can wrote a patch in hours.

No need--I'm off the linux box for the day (still working on Windows at the office), and as mentioned above: either 2.1.4 will work or not. If the latter, I'll try to figure out the missing fontsize defaults settings and go with anti-aliased xlib fonts.

Again: thanks for your kind help. It's much appreciated indeed.

93,
-Sascha.rb

P.S.

You can use 3,9 for Japanese people (Their pronunciation of 3,9 just sounds "thank you")
:-)

That's a handy thing to know, thanks a bunch. :-) As you know I already call my computer "karoshi", so changing my greeting isn't too far off. ;) 3,9 -.rb

--
Sascha "nggalai" Erni, .rb
www.dudagroup.com