Re: NSKeyedArchiver support in GNUstep (was Re: RFC: Appreciation of .gm

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: NSKeyedArchiver support in GNUstep (was Re: RFC: Appreciation of .gmodel format (was deprecation))
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:57:34 -0800 (PST)

--- Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com> wrote:
> Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>
> >Chris,
> >
> >See below...  I would like us to implement NSKeyedArchiver/NSKeyedUnarchiver
> >support in GNUstep, if possible... read on...
> >
> I thought you didn't like it.

Hehe..   I never said that. :)   I said that it would be difficult to add the
functionality to all of the existing initWithCoder/encodeWithCoder: methods.

Basically we would need to add the check to see if the coder is keyed by
calling  allowsKeyedCoding and have another "version" in the
initWithCoder:/encodeWithCoder: methods for the keyed archive.   Since there
are so many classes with so many different variables it will be time consuming.

> <snip>
>
> > Actually, I think that once we have an implementation of the keyed
> > archiver,
>
> >it's likely okay for us to move to this format.  Since the keyed archiver
> can
> >output to an XML format, we should make certain that the XML between the two
> is
> >as compatible as possible or, at the very least, that there is a simple
> >transform that can be appled to make it so.
> >
> >We will still need to add code to all objects to allow them to be saved
> using
> >the keyed archiver, but this is a very small price to pay for this kind of
> >cross platform capability or at least to make the format human readable!! :)
> >
> >Once we have it, it shouldn't be a big deal to add the support, it's just
> time
> >consuming since there are so many classes.  But I know I'd be happy to do
> it.
> >:)
> >
> To save your time, why don't you count on me?  I'd like to see a new Gorm
> supporting human-readable format as soon as possible!
>
> - Kazunobu Kuriyama

Once NSKeyedArchiver/NSKeyedUnarchiver are written, it's a matter of doing what
I described above.   We could probably divide the work.

The only question now is whether someone going to write
NSKeyedArchiver/Unarchiver?

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---