Re: RFC: Deprecation of .gmodel format (NOT .gorm)

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: RFC: Deprecation of .gmodel format (NOT .gorm)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:47:34 -0800 (PST)

Presumably, mySTEP can continue to support gmodels, even if support is dropped
from GNUstep itself.

GJC
--- "Dr. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@computer.org> wrote:
> Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > * .gmodel is the format created by nib2gmodel, not Gorm, for translating
> .nibs.
> > * .gorm is the format created by Gorm.app.  Gorm.app can import .gmodels so
> > that they can be converted to .gorm files.
> >
> > 1) .gmodel files do not provide an exact translation, since there is
> > information in the .nib files which isn't accessible to us using just the
> > AppKit classes (there are some private NeXT/Apple objects/data-structures
> which
> > are encoded in .nibs which nib2gmodel doesn't know about).
>
> The Sharp Zaurus port of GNUstep/mGStep (called mySTEP
> http://www.dsitri.de/php/projects/project.php?project=mySTEP to triple
> the confusion...) relies on the automatic translation of .nib files to
> .gmodel (.mib) files which only nib2gmodel can do.
>
> The idea behind is to cross-compile existing Cocoa applications and
> stuff the compiled code as well as the translated model into the .app
> bundle. This can be easily copied to the Zaurus.
>
> The results of the translation are very good so that I can't confirm
> the statement 1) completely. It is in my experience only a matter of
> extending nib2gmodel (or am I wrong?).
>
> Therefore, we can not use Gorm or its formats unless it can write
> .gmodel or .nib files and/or this can be automated somehow.
>
> Many thanks,
> hns

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---