Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Chris Beaham
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:57:48 +0200

On Donnerstag, Oktober 23, 2003, at 01:01  Uhr, Philip Mötteli wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 22.10.03, um 22:30 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Alex Perez:
2. Many programs do not use AppKit. E. g. servers and Web-programs.
I know, there is a shortage of GNUstep apps, but you gotta admit that
a LOT of progress has been made this year!

The hugest prograss is having WOF: GDL2 and GSWeb.

As a GNUstep *USER* I don't give a *damn* about GDL and GSWeb. I'm sure they're nice and all, and I know what they do, but they are useless to me, as they are to all end users. I urge you to try and not be so one-sided in
your view of what is valuable in GNUstep.

In your eyes, what is this thread all about?
.
.
.
.
I give you my opinion, of what I thought this thread is about (I should know, because I started it together with the other Phil, who was frustrated about seeing GS still living in the shadow): It's about on what I would propose to invest our time in order to bring GS out of its life in the shadow. From that point of view I said that things like completing the libraries (on all platforms) then completing GDL2 and GSW would help much more, than investing time into desktops, window-managers or distributions. Now! Later we should attack these.

Good morning All

How did NeXT survive after abandoning it's hardware??? It leveraged it's EOF (previously DBkit) technology in OPENSTEP ENTERPRISE. And when that wasn't enough they developed WebObjects, again based on EOF. IMHO, without EOF NeXT would have been dead long before the OpenStep Specification was created, and then there wouldn't have been any GNUstep or possibly any Cocoa. Would Sun have been interested in NeXT without EOF? I seriously doubt it. They saw a great enterprise solution that also has a great desktop and not the other way around. NeXT patented parts of EOF for a reason, one being that know one else had (has) this technology. Once again, they were ahead of their time.

I continually see discussions about desktop solutions and applications in this mailing list, but is anyone interested in the Enterprise and the bigger picture?

IMHO, this situation is similar to that with Sun's Java. Java technology and not Java applications, is the only thing keeping Sun alive these days, as EOF kept NeXT alive back then. This indicates to me that the technology needs to come first because it sustains life and allows it to evolve (if done right!). Better and more powerful applications will be made possible if more time is spent in the frameworks and libraries. IMHO, this fact should also interest the End-User.

Just my 2 cents

Chris

 You might like what you find if
you do so.

Would you still make this statement, now, that you know what this thread is about? Then please explain.

Re
Phil