Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:15:34 +0800

On 2003-10-23 18:57:48 +0800 Chris Beaham <development@pcs-ag.com> wrote:

>>> As a GNUstep *USER* I don't give a *damn* about GDL and GSWeb. I'm sure
>>> they're nice and all, and I know what they do, but they are useless to me,
>>> as they are to all end users. I urge you to try and not be so one-sided in
>>> your view of what is valuable in GNUstep.
>>
>> In your eyes, what is this thread all about?
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> I give you my opinion, of what I thought this thread is about (I should
>> know, because I started it together with the other Phil, who was frustrated
>> about seeing GS still living in the shadow):
>> It's about on what I would propose to invest our time in order to bring GS
>> out of its life in the shadow.
>>  From that point of view I said that things like completing the libraries
>> (on all platforms) then completing GDL2 and GSW would help much more, than
>> investing time into desktops, window-managers or distributions. Now! Later
>> we should attack these.
>>

> Good morning All
>
> How did NeXT survive after abandoning it's hardware???  It leveraged it's EOF
> (previously DBkit) technology in OPENSTEP ENTERPRISE.  And when that wasn't
> enough they developed WebObjects, again based on EOF.  IMHO, without EOF NeXT
> would have been dead long before the OpenStep Specification was created, and
> then there wouldn't have been any GNUstep or possibly any Cocoa.  Would Sun
> have been interested in NeXT without EOF?  I seriously doubt it.  They saw a
> great enterprise solution that also has a great desktop and not the other way
> around.  NeXT patented parts of EOF for a reason, one being that know one
> else had (has) this technology.  Once again, they were ahead of their time.
>
> I continually see discussions about desktop solutions and applications in
> this mailing list, but is anyone interested in the Enterprise and the bigger
> picture?
>
> IMHO, this situation is similar to that with Sun's Java.  Java technology and
> not Java applications, is the only thing keeping Sun alive these days, as EOF
> kept NeXT alive back then.  This indicates to me that the technology needs to
> come first because it sustains life and allows it to evolve (if done right!).
>   Better and more powerful applications will be made possible if more time is
> spent in the frameworks and libraries.  IMHO, this fact should also interest
> the End-User.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Chris
>

>>>   You might like what you find if
>>> you do so.
>>
>> Would you still make this statement, now, that you know what this thread is
>> about? Then please explain.
>>

>> Re
>> Phil

All these applications and libraries matter. GSWeb and GDL2 matters. Whats
important is to get it all together and see whats lacking or whats redundant.

I intend to do that now. Im going to hack up whats lacking from existing
software and take out what i think is redudndant .

I believe that linux can make a bigger presence on the desktop with gnustep.