Including external libraries in GNU source

From: Pete French
Subject: Including external libraries in GNU source
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:42:31 +0100

Umm, whats the current policy on including external libraries as
part of the GNUstep source code ? I want to start writing an implementation
of some methods, for which the Judy array library that HP released seems
an obvious choice.

But almost nobody has heard of it, I have never seen packages for it, and
using google for a few minutes I cant find the download page I got
it from, even though I know it exists!

So, "not widespread" would be my general conclusion.

If, therefore, I want to base some code on it then all I can think of doing
is to include it in the GNUstep source tree. It was released by HP under the
LGPL so the lisence is compatible.

Its very frustrating - its a fantastic set of libraries if you want to handle
sparse arrays (i.e. and king of key/value lookup) and it does it extremely
fast. Is it worth me starting to code with it though ?

-bat.