RE: Including external libraries in GNU source

From: Pete French
Subject: RE: Including external libraries in GNU source
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:18:37 +0100

> The LGPL just means you can link to it without any license problems and
> since our project is also GPL/LGPL we "could" use the code. However, our
> current policy is that we have copyright for all contributions assigned
> to the FSF, so unfortunatly, it's unlikely we could use it. Depending on
> how you plan to use the library, it's possible we could optionally link
> it in via the configure script, though, we would rather not depend on an
> external library for core code.

Especially a core library that very few people have heard of and wont come up
on Google even if you try...

I am working on implementing the normalisation forms of Unicode strings.
I can do the decomposition and normalisation via humungeous lookup tables,
but the recomposition is proving more difficult - effectively I need a
very fast way to lookup 128 bit keys in a dictionary. It needs to be fast
because it will be potentially done four times for each unichar in a string.
Judy is ideal for this purpose, and so far I havent come up with an
alternative sparse array library.

-bat.