CORBA and ObjC [was Re: Fresco]

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: CORBA and ObjC [was Re: Fresco]
Date: 17 Apr 2003 18:20:14 +0200

We are digressing into technical details while there is no clear question.
The CORBA thread started with:

Björn Giesler <giesler@ira.uka.de> writes:

> ... I've been working with CORBA for a while; when I started out, I
> wanted to eventually write a NSCORBAConnection. Right now, I don't
> think that is possible while still retaining our standard DO
> semantics.

I am not sure that you are right.  But why would you want
an NSCORBAConnection in the first place?  I think it could
be usefull for the following reasons:

- Interoperability between GNUstep and non GNUstep applications.
- Keeping the clutterfree semantics of the GNUstep DO system.

But this means that you want more than just GNUstep DO
implemented on top of CORBA.
And than you need to make some decissions:

- Using an interface repository or using IDL
- Using an implementation repository?
- How to assign IDL types to objects etc.

And although I really would like to have a clean CORBA
implementation added to GNUstep this will require
some substential effort.
So if you want to embark on some technical discussion,
I would like that.  However I am not going to spend
significant time on this by myself.
If you want to spend time on this I will join, if
not, it will stay a nice hypothetical discussion.

The other point you raised in that e-mail:

> I wonder about this entire discussion. GNUstep on Fresco? Surely not
> for the reason of greater acceptance, since Fresco has none. Not for
> the reason of having a nicer interface to the windowing system
> either, since Fresco doesn't have what GNUstep needs (WYSIWYG widget
> placement, Display PostScript), and going DO to the windowing system
> would break the existing gui/back structure (beyond repair, IMHO).

I do not think Fresco is a good thing for GNUstep.  But for me,
it is purely a personal interest to see how it will work
and play a little with it.

Wim Oudshoorn.