Re: Dual Boot NextStep, OpenStep

From: Richard van Paasen
Subject: Re: Dual Boot NextStep, OpenStep
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:12:57 +0200

I encountered some weird behaviour, read on ...

Stefan Böhringer wrote:

It is unusual that you do not see any partitions but depending on your
disk size this may be due to different CHS-mappings comparing Linux with
NS/OS.

That seems to be a problem on my machine. The fdisk output for the disk on which OpenStep is running is listed below: there are no partitions in use and the drive size differs according to the drive and bios. I tried to change the bios settings from LBA to NORMAL and LARGE mapping of CHS parameters, but that doesn't work: OpenStep can't boot then because the boot loader cannot find the config files. The same behaviour is shown for the NextStep disk.

Anyway, I can mount the NextStep harddisk from OpenStep (it was already mounted for me on /Disk). Using this, I edited the fstab file on the NextStep disk and set the mountpoint of / to /dev/hd1a. This way NextStep should be able to boot from the second harddisk with the correct root partition.

After rebooting, I typed the following on the boot prompt:

   hd(1,1)mach_kernel rootdev=/dev/hd1a

But... as I already suspected, the boot loader responds that the partition is invalid. It however continues loading after 3 retries. Then it continues in diagnostic mode, and low and behold, after a few seconds I see NextStep coming up!!!

This puzzles me, did the boot loader start the correct kernel? Maybe it started the kernel from the OpenStep partition with the NextStep root partition! How can I tell?

Richard.

FDISK OUTPUT in OPENSTEP
OpenStep:3# fdisk
NeXT fdisk v1.02

Device: /dev/rhd0h
No partitions in use

  Unused Blocks     Start   Size
  -------------------------------
  Free Space           0     812

Fdisk main menu
----------------
1) Create a new partition
<...>
6) Save changes and quit

Enter 1-6: 4

Partition Table
----------------
 Act  H  S Cyl   Id   H  S Cyl     Begin      Size
 ---  -  - ---   --   -  - ---     -----      ----
  0   0  0   0    0   0  0   0         0         0
  0   0  0   0    0   0  0   0         0         0
  0   0  0   0    0   0  0   0         0         0
  0   0  0   0    0   0  0   0         0         0

Disk Information
Disk statistics according to device driver and bios:
   device: 813 Megabytes, 1665216 sectors
   bios:   812 Megabytes, 1663200 sectors
       cylinders = 825, heads = 32, sectors/track = 63

Press Return to continue