RE: Dual Boot NextStep, OpenStep

From: Bissell, Tim
Subject: RE: Dual Boot NextStep, OpenStep
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:02:20 +0100

It's a long time since I fiddled with it, but you don't need too use
lilo - just use the Openstep boot loader. you make it default boot
off the first (Openstep) drive, and add the second drive.  You don't
say if your disks are SCSI (like mine) or IDE.  With SCSI it is easy
to fit the two disks, just give the Openstep drive a lower SCSI id.
I don't know how you do it with IDE; whether you must put them on
separate channels, or can have them on one channel as master and
slave... probably the former.
Anyway, boot Openstep, then log in as root. mount the second drive
(if it isn't mounted for you).  from the command line, do a df(1)
to find the second drive name it should be sd1 (SCSI) or hd1 (IDE).
  Then edit the {mount-pt}/private/etc/fstab and correct the
mountpoint of / (and any other local partitions) from e.g. sd0
(or hd0) to sd1 (or hd1). Note that {mount-pt}/etc is a symbolic
link to /etc - do not edit {mount-pt}/etc/fstab!

Then when you you next boot, hit return to get the bootloader
and type

bsd(1,0,0)sdmach rootdev=sd1

or (i believe) for IDE:

bhd(1,0,0)hdmach rootdev=hd1

(it may still be sdmach even for IDE)

Look at the NS/OS installation manuals for more details on the
loader options.
Anyway, this advice is worth what you paid for it - back everything
and anything up before changing any files!

regards,

Tim