Re: ObjC additions (Was: Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++)

From: Bjoern Giesler
Subject: Re: ObjC additions (Was: Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:43:18 +0100

Hi,

adding my .02 Euro...

Am Dienstag, 20. November 2001 01:33 schrieb Björn Gohla:
> On Monday 19 November 2001 23:45, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> > 1. Exception handling.

Seconded. I'd like to see this as well. Personally, though, I'd prefer
something along the lines of Python, which has try...except...finally but
also try...except...else (the else gets executed in case no exception has
occurred).

> > 2. Class variables. A "must add" in my opinion, as the current way of
> > defining them using static variables is far from being acceptable.

Yep.

> > 3. Blocks, as described by Brad Cox.

Yep.

> > 4. Syntactic sugars for constant property objects.

Yep.

> 5. how about operators?

Please, no. IMHO, you don't gain much with this, but it makes debugging a
nightmare. I'm in the process of debugging a program which makes use of
operator overloading in C++. I don't want operators. No. :-/

> 6. a mechanism to transparently access c types as objects (very handy
> if you want to store them in a container)

Hmm. How would this look?

Regards,
                --Björn