Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++

From: Ovidiu Predescu
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:26:53 -0800

Zem,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:55:35 -0800, Ziemowit Laski <zlaski@apple.com> wrote:

> On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 11:43 , Kim Shrier wrote:
>
> >> There are many neat things in POC that are quite
> >> interesting, like blocks for example.
> >
> > I agree.  I would like to see blocks in the GNU Objective C compiler.
>
> Two questions on behalf of the benighted among us (which may include just
> me, but so be it):
>    -- What does POC stand for?

POC stands for Portable Object Compiler.

>    -- What is this 'blocks' feature in the POC compiler?

This is a feature that comes from Smalltalk, very similar to lambda
functions in Lisp languages. It appeared originally in Stepstone's
compiler/preprocessor and was later implemented by POC.

Here's the POC description of blocks:

http://users.pandora.be/stes/block98/index.html

Here Brad Cox's original description of blocks, called in his paper
"actions":

http://www.virtualschool.edu/cox/CoxTaskMaster.html#Action%20expressions

Regards,
--