Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:45:02 +0100 (BST)

> Unfortunately GNUstep CVS don't work anymore for me (gcc-3.0 fails
> building base, gcc-2.95.3 with libobjc worked).

Please can you send a full bug report to <bug-gnustep@gnu.org> if you have
a problem with compiling ?

Because when I try it, both with gcc-2.95 an with gcc-3.0, everything
works fine !

Comments/hints I can make which could help you -

* you need gcc-3.0 *release*, because pre-releases (even if a week before
the release) will NOT work;

* you can NOT mix ObjC stuff compiled with gcc-2.95 and ObjC stuff
compiled with gcc-3.0, and you need to reconfigure your system, so make
sure you `rm -Rf /usr/GNUstep' and `make distclean' in all your sources -
and then start from scratch - before
reconfiguring/recompiling/reinstalling with gcc-3.0 !

if you still have problems, please do the following:

1. clean up your system totally. (rm -Rf /usr/GNUstep; make distclean in
all sources).

2. start from gnustep-make and configure, compile, install everything
writing down what you do.

3. when/if compilation fails, write down the error message.

4. write down which compiler version you are (using `gcc -v') and other
libraries/stuff relevant.

5. send your notes as a bug report to bug-gnustep@gnu.org

that way we can hopefully fix it - because when I try, it always works -
both old gcc and new gcc - so I need more information about what is going
wrong in order to fix it !