Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:42:05 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:
> The main problem in implementing such an option is
> making sure we are not breaking the API, but to me it looks like possible.

Must be, after all OpenStep/NT worked that way ! (though different NIB
files were required for NT, NeXTstep, MacOSX ... because of the
repositioning).
After all most applications won't be very interested in the size of the
window itself anyway, right ? (mostly only the inner size is
interesting)

> Implementing such an option is not necessarily strictly bound to themes.

I personally think that themes have little to do with that. In my
understanding themes just modify the way widgets are drawn, not how they
behave or where they are located (only visual changes, no behaviour
changes).

> I personally like the popup nextstep-like menu a lot, and would encourage
> people to use it - the nextstep-like menu must certainly remain the
> default - but there is nothing religious in it - I am for allowing options
> to enable users choose what they like.

I also like the NeXTstep menues, but
a) the GS implementation doesn't work in Exceed/NT, probably in other
windows managers the same :-(
b) it doesn't really fit into the environment anyway, and consistency is
IMHO more important than having some apps which provide a 'better'
interface.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises