Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:39:55 +0200

Well, another option might be to do it the mac os way:
GNUstep could provide an (horizontal) menubar app which sits at the top
of the screen (and might eventually be customizeable regarding position
and size), where the menus of the current focused app are drawn.
Would this be possible? (without too much effort/rewriting?)

This way, GS would also stay consistent with Mac OS... maybe someone
would even create a aqua like theme and window manager.
Apart from that I like this idea also more than the windows way because
it saves screen size (btw, wtf at MS invented those damn windows icon
bars that are so screen consumpting but have so ugly small icons???)

As usual, just my 2 cents ;-)

- Martin

p.s.: Who else on the list is speaking German? Maybe together we could
write an GNUstep article for a German computer magazine?

>When I did the first (maybe second?) rewrite of NSMenu to include
>NSMenuView and the MacOSX API I gave a lot of thought to how this could
>be achieved. Obviously people at NeXT/Apple made this happen with
>respect to the YellowBox for Windows. I think in that case it was
>overcome by having a different menuRepresentation object. Of course, to
>get the NeXTish menu we had to bastardize NSMenu and NSMenuView, heh. At
>the time I thought it would be possible to have a menubar a'la MacOS as
>an NSInterface option (this was also the time I added the WindowMaker
>menu style, GSWindowMakerInterfaceStyle). Alas, I ran out of time and
>did not attempt this. However, if someone worked on the menubar idea it
>might be transformable to a per-window menu. Why you would like this I
>do not know, but variety is the spice of life, no? :-)
---
The Internet was invented as a highly dependable, high-speed, distributed,
secure, and powerful network so that
in the event of a nuclear crisis, military officials would always have access
to pornography.