Re[2]: gsweb questions

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: gsweb questions
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:51:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 May 2001 02:10:51 -0500 Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com> wrote:

 >| Mirko Viviani wrote:

 >| > What do you mean exactly ?
 >|
 >| Is gsweb supposed to look exactly like WebObjects or is it only
 >| supposed to work like it.  Is the intent for people to write
 >| applications that will run under both WebObjects and gsweb or
 >| is gsweb going to extend the framework and encourage people to
 >| use the extensions.
 >|
 >| Another related question is, can I take a WO application that
 >| is running on Mac OSX and simply recompile it on a FreeBSD
 >| system with gsweb and have it work without any source changes?

The ultimate goal was this. I say was because WO5 will be Java based.
GNUstepWeb currently does not work exactly like WO because there some part
which are not finished or written, some WO
way of doing things are very strange and I can't guess what it's doing (or want
to do exactly), so I coded things the
best I can. The parser is base on libxml (or antlr if you choose it) and some
things are parsed differently (I haven't
verified but webobject tags in strings or in java are not parsed in GNUstepWeb).
There's extensions in gsweb but you can disable them.

 >| > ??? They are working.
 >|
 >| Yes, if you add the appropriate things to Makefile.preamble.  I
 >| was looking at brain.make and at the files in the
 >| Makefiles/Additional directory.  It looks like the intent is
 >| that there should be a file Makefiles/Additional/gsweb.make
 >| that would contain definitions for GSW_LDFLAGS, GSW_LIBS, and
 >| GSW_DEFINE macros that would handle linking with the
 >| appropriate libraries as well as provide a macro that the
 >| source could test to see it it is being built as part of
 >| a gsweb application.  I have written one up and will send it
 >| in to bug-gnustep@gnu.org so that it can be added to the make
 >| package if this is the desired thing to do.
 >|
 >| There are notes in brain.make that indicate that the same sort
 >| of thing should be done for woapp.make.  If everybody is using
 >| gswapp.make instead of woapp.make, should woapp.make and also
 >| wobundle.make be dropped from the make package?

I  use gswapp for GNUstepWeb Applications:

here is an extract of the GNUmakefile for an application:
GSWAPP_NAME=myapp

myapp_HAS_GSWCOMPONENTS=YES
myapp_PRINCIPAL_CLASS=application
myapp_GSWAPP_INFO_PLIST=Resources/Info-myapp.plist

# The bundle resource files and directories
myapp_RESOURCE_FILES = \
anInfo.plist \
aCommonWod.wod

myapp_LOCALIZED_RESOURCE_FILES= \
myappLocalized.strings

myapp_COMPONENTS= \
Main.wo \
CustomerPage.wo \
VisitorPage.wo \
ActionsPage.wo \

myapp_LANGUAGES= \
French

myapp_RESOURCE_DIRS =

myapp_WEBSERVER_RESOURCE_FILES = \

# The Objective-C source files to be compiled
myapp_OBJC_FILES = \
Session.m \
DirectAction.m \
DABase.m

myapp_HEADER_FILES = \
Session.h \
DirectAction.h \
DABase.h

SRCS = $(GSWAPP_NAME:=.m)
HDRS = $(GSWAPP_NAME:=.h)

DIST_FILES = $(SRCS) $(HDRS) GNUmakefile Makefile.postamble Makefile.preamble

-include Makefile.preamble

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/aggregate.make
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/gswapp.make

-include Makefile.postamble

Here is part of the Makefile.preamble:

# Additional LDFLAGS to pass to the linker
ifeq ($(debug), yes)
        ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS = -lgnustep-base_d -lFoundationExt_d -lgnustep-db2_d
-lgnustep-db2control_d -lgdl2-postgresql_d -lpq -lGSWeb -lGSANTLR_d  -lgsgd_d
-lgd -lz -lpam  -lcrypt -lgscrypt_d -lvwData -lgnustep-base_d -lreuters_d
-lobjc -lquoteServerBase
else
        ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS = -lgnustep-base -lFoundationExt -lgnustep-db2
-lgnustep-db2control -lgdl2-postgresql -lpq -lGSWeb -lGSANTLR -lgsgd -lgd -lz
-lpam  -lcrypt -lgscrypt -lvwData -lreuters -lobjc -lquoteServerBase
endif

 >| > They are not intended for naming convenction. I've never used
 >| > woxxx.make, only gsweb*
 >|
 >| Maybe I am reading too much into what I am seeing in the make
 >| files and support classes.

I can't remember the purpose of wo*.make.
You can use gsw*.make with WO naming. The 'prefered' (default) naming
convention is defined by the XXApplicationMain: calling WOApplicationMain do a
GSWebNamingConv=WONAMES_INDEX and calling GSWApplicationMain do a
GSWebNamingConv=GSWNAMES_INDEX

Most of search wich need names try first GSWebNamingConv and next the other one.
For exemple calling WOApplicationMain will make GNUstepWeb searching for .wo
and next (if not found) for .gswc
Calling GSWApplicationMain will make GNUstepWeb searching for .gswc and next
(if not found) for .wo

 >| > I've only the simple HelloWorld. It's a bit old and I don't know
 >| > if it works correctly now.

I haven't another publically available one for the moment :-(

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998