[announcement] IMPORTANT: Matrix chat server switchover: need to act ||

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [announcement] IMPORTANT: Matrix chat server switchover: need to act || Scheduled Downtime
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 14:06:58 +0200

Dear GNU Radio community,

Monday, the 13. of September, at 12:30 UTC

we will temporarily shut down the Matrix homeserver. This means that if you
have a
@username:gnuradio.org Matrix account, it will temporarily stop working.

We expect the Matrix infrastructure to be up and running, at better performance,

Monday, the 13. of September, at 19:00 UTC.

Everything will work as before. Any message sent to you (or a channel you're
in) while
we're offline will simply arrive as soon as we're back.

***You will be logged out automatically.***
Right now is a good point in time to verify you know your password. You will
have to log
in afterwards. This will also apply to mobile clients.

There is another thing, though: For private chats, Matrix enables end-to-end
encryption by
default, so your messages are save and unreadable for anyone but you even if
someone takes
over the homeserver. But that means:

***If you don't have a backup of your cryptographic secrets, you will NOT be
able to read
your old private messages after the move*.**

For your private messaging to be readable after, you need to enable an
encrypted key
backup before the migration.
It's easy: In short, if you're using chat.gnuradio.org, go to Settings ->
Security &
privacy -> Secure Backup and click on the large "Set up" button, as shown in
here:
https://www.gnuradio.org/matrixbackup

If you have any questions feel free to either reach out to us at
admin@gnuradio.org or
check the more extensive official documentation provided by Element:
https://ems-docs.element.io/Set-up-Cross-Signing.html

Thank you
Your GNU Radio community